Thursday, February 21, 2013

Reclaim [my life], week 1

I am participating in a free nutrition class through my local yoga studio called "Reclaim Your Diet."  I'm personally calling it Reclaim My Life because I don't like the word diet, and the title really makes me feel like it's a "wonder-diet" only to stick around for a short while.  

I joined the class with lots of reservations, a lot of skepticism and generally a big 
? 
as to whether this was healthy for me or a right fit.  I finally decided to take a chance, as it was free and I already had yoga classes to my credit at the studio it literally cost nothing and I could drop out whenever I wished.  It is going to be what I make of it.

I'm almost done with the first week and I have to admit it is a very down-to-earth, reasonable way of talking about nutrition.  I was pleasantly surprised at how down to earth and realistic the advice is.  The dietician/nutritionist who led the classes had a very personal relationship with poor nutrition, which makes listening to what she says more meaningful.  It was really refreshing to learn about nutrition in an environment that was not telling you to completely give up any one thing and was encouraging more conscious "selective" eating than eliminating and omitting foods.

My main reason for joining the class was that I was feeling very unhealthy and felt that I needed to do something for myself.  I often put others first and really don't take care of myself first and foremost as I should.  When I do put myself first, I feel guilty and often try and back off or apologize for my decision or action.  Sure, I'm not perfect, some of those apologies were necessary, but a majority of them were not. 

I also wanted to be more in control of my life.  Right now my schedule is what my professors want it to be, anything I do outside of class is smooshed in around classes and forced to be second to every class and group meeting.
  
I needed something that I controlled, that I said: I'm doing this now because I want to do it now.

This week our challenge is to start taking out some of the processed food we have in our diet.  We were told to make a personal goal as to how many processed foods we can eat per day and aim to not go over that goal for this week.  
Only guideline: Do not say Zero.

No comments:

Post a Comment