Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Packing to move back in to Ithaca

I've started packing and as I add little item after little item to the pile, I start to wonder:

"How in the world did I pack for Spain?!?!"

and...

"Do I really need all this stuff?!?!"

Last semester I survived on what I could fit in a huge suitcase (literally came up to my hips, and was twice as wide as myself), a small suitcase and a backpack.  The small suitcase was mostly filled with toiletries, things I obviously could have bought in Granada, but I figured it would open up lots of room for souvenirs that I brought home.  The big suitcase was filled with clothes ranging from summer appropriate to winter warms.  Truthfully, I never felt like I really needed anything I didn't have.  Linens, towels, and general items for my room were supplied by my family in Spain, so that cut down a lot, but I still feel like I have a lot more stuff than I actually need.

Another problem isn't just fitting things in the car, but doing so in boxes that aren't so heavy that I won't be able to carry them inside and up a flight of stairs.  If I put all my shampoo and soap in one box, it's way too heavy, but then books are quite heavy too. 

I'm staying in an on-campus apartment for the semester, which will be a really nice change from the dorms I've become accustom to.  I will share 2 bathrooms, a kitchen, small dining room (basically big enough for a table) and common room with 3 others, we each have our own rooms.  Talk about luxury :)  I'll have a 15-20 minute walk in to class each day which I look forward to using as part of staying in shape, and once it's warmer it will also be much more enjoyable. 

I've truthfully been worried about moving back on campus after being gone for a semester: so much can happen in a couple weeks, let alone an entire semester.   Zach was super kind and gave all our mutual friends a heads-up that I was feeling nervous about the return, from which I received texts and Facebook messages full of welcome.  It did calm the nerves, but I'm still a bit uneasy about returning.  I'm sure it doesn't help I'm facing 3 tough classes this semester followed by an equally challenging summer. I just hope I'm worried for nothing.

More on this later, but I'll be cooking for myself this semester, so if you have any easy recipes to share, please do!

1 comment:

  1. Packing books was always a problem for me as well. I was never able to have everything with me, thank goodness for used bookstores!

    ReplyDelete