Sunday, March 6, 2011

Weekly Highlight: Savion Glover

When we have extra time at SAI meetings (which sadly doesn't happen nearly often enough) we each share our "Highlight of the Week" with everyone.  I decided to bring this concept to my blog, so that if nothing else, I blog once a week :)

This week my highlight was: Savion Glover

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Savion_Glover
A group of us from tap club decided we'd go over to Cornell to see him because, well, do we really need a reason?  He turned out to be amazing.  I expected him to be really good, but he definitely surpassed any expectation I had formulated in my head prior to seeing him.  The show was exactly 2 hours.  Savion Glover tapped for about 1 hour and 58 minutes. No joke.  Even as he was drinking water his feet were moving, doing some paradiddles, some toes and heels.  Then he'd slowly get more intense until his feet were in the air more than on the ground and sounds were coming from no where (we later speculated that perhaps he had someone back stage adding in some sounds... his feet were moving that fast.)

I have to say his incredible show made my feet insist on doing their own moves for the next 24 hours or so, though my own feet just wouldn't move that fast.  He really inspired me to move, make up some sounds, and use my feet as an instrument.

A couple days after I saw Savion, my dad e-mailed me a link to a Stomp video (see below), stating "Stomp really blurs the lines between dance and playing music." which I thought was a good theme to go with Savion Glover as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment