Thursday, July 14, 2011

Book Review: The Weird Sisters

See, we love each other. We just don't happen to like each other very much.


I picked this book up because a group on Ravelry were going to be reading it.  I ordered it from the library and when I checked it out I found out I only had it for 7 days.  I rarely finish books in 7 days because I multitask with books so much that I never really focus just on one book. I sat down immediately and started reading figuring I'd have a chance if I tried to get 50 pages in a night.

The book turned out to be a very interesting read.  It was written from the point of view of all three sisters but instead of having sections titled with which sister was telling the story you really only knew by which sisters were mentioned by name.  There was no (or hardly any) "I"s in the story and it made for a very interesting perspective. The three sisters traded off telling eachother's stories but never told their own.

Each sister was named for a character of Shakespeare: Rosalind, Bianca and Cordelia. Each sister returned home for different reasons, all hiding under the fact that their mother is sick and needed help around the house.  Through the book the three characters discover things about themselves and their family that they never would have known if they hadn't returned home (or left, in some cases).  All three sisters were developed throughout the story nicely and though I read a few complaints that "nothing happened" I was never bored with the story.  I enjoyed that the plot consisted mostly of the development of the characters and who they were and would become.  For me that moved the story forward enough.

All in all this turned out to be a great summer read: quick, engaging and light. Next time you go to the beach you might want to consider bringing this one along.

No comments:

Post a Comment