Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Elm Street Bakery

I have always considered East Aurora to be one of those ALMOST perfect towns: walkable, friendly and historical East Aurora has a particular charm you just don't seem to find everywhere. I could go on for hours about all the things I love about this town, but I'll save that for another post.
What is the ALMOST I speak of? 
East Aurora has lacked a bakery.  I have always dreamed of living somewhere in which I could walk to get bread in the morning for breakfast, or muffins or grab a cup of coffee with a slice of coffee cake. A place that would allow me to live as the French do: never eating a day old piece of bread.
Well, as of July 16th, 2011 East Aurora became a little bit more perfect in my eyes:
I woke up early Saturday morning, jumped on my bike and rode the half a mile to the bakery in order to make them aware that they are wanted in East Aurora.  We were most certainly not the only ones who had decided to make this point.  When we arrived the bakery had every outdoor table filled and a long line of eager patrons waiting to taste the bread.  These lines persisted for the entire day!
We decided to get a few different items in order to get a good idea of what they have to offer.  We got zucchini bread, coffee cake and a loaf of Three-Seed Sourdough bread.  They also had lemon blueberry muffins, cookies, and a pastry I can't remember the name of.  They were serving Gimme! Coffee from Ithaca, NY which made it feel even more like home.  They will eventually be roasting their own coffee but their roaster got waylaid en route from the factory.  I'm really excited to try their coffee roast!
I have to say the sourdough bread was the best sourdough bread I've eaten outside San Francisco, no joke.  It had the distinct sour taste that sadly most breads who claim to be sourdough actually lack.  I can't wait to return tomorrow and replenish the loaf that is now just a memory.
I found out that it wasn't really necessary to make the bakery feel welcome: they completely sold out on Saturday and didn't open on Sunday because they didn't have anything to sell!  I'm so glad that the bakery received such a wonderful welcome and I look forward to seeing what it becomes in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment